In a previous post, we gave you a checklist to make sure you are prepared before making any phone enquiries about a job.
Today, we want to take you through some bonus tips to make sure the call gives you the best chance of landing the job.
Bonus tips to land the job
- Take the time to make sure you are calm and relaxed before making the call, or it will show in your voice.
- People sound friendlier when they are smiling, so try to smile during the conversation.
- Be polite at all times, and don’t speak over the top of the employer.
- Don’t eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum while you are on the phone.
- Don’t speak with other people while you are on the phone with the employer – you should be in a private quiet place.
- Speak directly into the phone and don’t use headphones, speakerphone, or handsfree in your car.
- Write words like ‘breathe’ and ‘slow down’ on your notes to remind yourself not to get too fast or out of breath when you are speaking.
- Don’t be under the influence of drugs or alcohol when you make the call, or answer a call back. If you are under the influence, or in an unsuitable environment when they call back, you are better off letting it go to message bank and calling them back as soon as possible.
- Answer the phone politely with your name if you have any calls you are expecting from employers.
- Don’t leave it too long to return missed calls from them. 24 hours is the absolute maximum you should make them wait.
- Don’t make appointments you can’t keep. If you aren’t available, ask politely if there is another possible time.
For more tips, click here.